What's your favorite business book, blog, or podcast?

Julie Gallagher

Question

5 answers to this question

Gretchen VanEsselstyn
This post was recognized by Gretchen VanEsselstyn!

Lisa Donoughe was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

Setting the Table by Danny Meyer. There are many pieces of wisdom in this book but my favorite is Meyer's 51 % rule. He says that you can train people to learn 49 % of what it takes to be successful but 51% of their abilities are in their emotional intelligence. They either have it or they don't. I remember just having finished the book many years ago I thought it would be fun to test his hiring rule at Union Square Café. I was meeting a friend for lunch and had just sat down at the table. The server walked past me and stepped on my toe. She immediately looked me in the eyes and said, "Did I just do that? Did I welcome you by stepping on your toes? Oh my goodness, I promise things are going to get a lot better from this point forward." I was so impressed that she was fully present in the moment, honest, direct and professional. She truly was the kind of employee you want around forever. 

29 minutes ago, Lisa Donoughe said:

Setting the Table by Danny Meyer. There are many pieces of wisdom in this book but my favorite is Meyer's 51 % rule. He says that you can train people to learn 49 % of what it takes to be successful but 51% of their abilities are in their emotional intelligence. They either have it or they don't. I remember just having finished the book many years ago I thought it would be fun to test his hiring rule at Union Square Café. I was meeting a friend for lunch and had just sat down at the table. The server walked past me and stepped on my toe. She immediately looked me in the eyes and said, "Did I just do that? Did I welcome you by stepping on your toes? Oh my goodness, I promise things are going to get a lot better from this point forward." I was so impressed that she was fully present in the moment, honest, direct and professional. She truly was the kind of employee you want around forever. 

Great story! Makes me wonder if she steps on toes just to follow-up the way she did. LOL. Either way, great customer service!

Megan Rooney
This post was recognized by Megan Rooney!

Gary Gottfried was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 15 points.

For me it's the book "The Speed of Trust" by Stephen Covey Jr (father was the 7 habits guy). This to me is huge because it quantifies a value that I rely on everyday. Do people answer or return your calls, will they tell a friend about you or your business. This book points out those factors that have real value and accelerate action.