Shipping a fragile cake

Alyssa Jenkins

Question

Hi, looking for some insight on shipping on e-commerce for an 8" cake  fragile cake. We have a branded hard box 10 x 10 x 3 but looking for advice on some type of insert to hold cake to ship nationally.

Thanks! 

Edited by Alyssa Jenkins

8 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Gretchen VanEsselstyn said:

Hi Alyssa! I'd suggest checking out our 2021 Business Services Resource Guide  where you'll find a number of packaging sources that may be able to help!

Any other members out there shipping fragile cakes who can advise Alyssa?

Gretchen - when I click the link it says I do not have access. Hopefully it's just a cliché

Hi Alyssa! Not sure if you were ever able to access the SFA links successfully, but wanted to share an option if you were still looking for cake shipping solutions. I had a project earlier this year which required a similar setup, and we just went with a pre-fab kit like this one: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/polar-tech-10-x-4-thermo-chill-round-interior-pie-cake-pizza-insulated-shipping-container/451XM16C.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=Cj0KCQiAip-PBhDVARIsAPP2xc16gc67Kc3ww2p13xyNgSYIlpEQcH5ynDTF9cTTrDOjVXwoZFq8cqQaAr-dEALw_wcB

Unless you have the budget allocated to custom-design an insert system that also provides temp control with gelpacks or dry ice, the one-off purchases of a kit like this can be really cost-effective. Not the sexiest option to showcase branding, but there's at least one panel that you could cover with a wide format label if desired.

Best,

Victoria