Market Research for Potential Startup

Ian

Question

Hey Everyone! 

My friend used to work at an olive oil producer and we were chatting about some of the problems they experienced. We are interested in starting a company in this space but want to do some research before jumping in.

It seems there is an opportunity for reporting tools that that plug directly into a food makers systems (in their case quickbooks). He was trying to do sales forecasting for perishable parts of the process so they knew how much to order from suppliers. We are exploring some other ideas as well like managing documents from large grocery chains but business intelligence for specialty food makers seems like the most promising.

Is this a problem other people have experienced? 

Thanks for reading!

Ian

PS. feel free to shoot me a message if you have thoughts you are willing to share!

3 answers to this question

not sure exactly what you're looking for.  until you have actual placement and have store counts to build sales projections from its difficult to just imagine what sales and needs would be without any solid retailer acceptance.   to start I would set a store count goal and then you're doing a little of "chicken and the egg" until you can see and measure consumer acceptance

Thanks Charlie -- we were thinking we would work with people who already had that data but make it a lot easier to use. So essentially replace the excel doc that pulls from quickbooks and inventory management. Or do you think thats not really a problem?