Sampling at Summer Fancy Food

Julie

Question

Hello,

I am looking for advise on figuring the amount of samples to have at the show. Does anyone have experiance and insight they can share? We are a popcorn company exhibiting for the first time at the FFS this June. 

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

Gretchen VanEsselstyn
This post was recognized by Gretchen VanEsselstyn!

Sarah Masoni was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 50 points.

I always tell my Incubator Village participants to plan for 300 samples per day, the samples should be small, and easy for you to prepare, in the case of popcorn,  you could consider having a prepackaged item and 1/2 ounce would be plenty.  You can also prepare your samples at your booth, with small paper cups, placed on a tray or the table, easy for a buyer to pick up and taste.  If you have multiple flavors, think about just a couple of kernals per sample.  You can always give someone more if they take a fancy to your product.  I also reccommend that you have a couple of small  gift bags with a sample set tucked away ready to hand out if you meet a buyer that is really interested and would like to take a snack with them.  Congratulations on joining the Specialty Food Association, we are glad to have you as a member.

Gretchen VanEsselstyn

Patti Doyle was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 50 points.

100% agree with Sarah's comment - especially about having some VIP gift sets, etc. And, I would really reinforce that it should be very easy to prep and distribute to people if it isn't prepackaged for sampling.  The last think you want is for a few key buyers to be at your booth and the team has its head down prepping samples, etc. The easier the better!

Gretchen VanEsselstyn

Victoria J Ho was awarded the badge 'Helpful' and 50 points.

Hi Julie, great core advice from Sarah and Patti here, with emphasis on making sure that PREPARING samples is NOT the focus of your attention during the show. The product, the pitch, making relationships, the brand experience--all yes. Physically concentrating on samples, no. I also want to add just a few product specific tips for you, having coincidentally exhibited artisan popcorn at over a dozen shows. 🙂

1. your product is very moisture sensitive, so if you don't have the resources or time to prepackage and LABEL samples to hand out, keep in mind how long your little kernels survive in the open air. If your product is coated with anything sweet, watch that moisture in the air may render them sticky or soft.

2. if your popcorn has any exciting or marquee inclusions...like sprinkles, nuts, chips, etc...try to strategize how you'll be able to deliver the "ideal" bite for each guest so they get the overall experience that you intend per serving, in just one or two bites. No need to go overboard and represent the product falsely, but buyers like to see what makes you shine. It is true that this puts the cost of each sample beyond what you would have calculated or projected at scale, but showtime is exactly that: your product at its VERY best.

3. for all exhibitors, I encourage stocking some creature comforts in their booth that acknowledge the potential effects of their product. For popcorn, this might be dental floss for wayward hulls or baby wipes for heavily seasoned pieces. It's just an extra thoughtful touch that could turn an awkward experience during a sampling event into a human one--a chance to make a different type of impression as company leader. 

4. Can't stress enough to put some time into a meaningful takeaway (or digital version with a QR code) for guests. While you may not yet have ALL the bells and whistles of your operational details sorted out yet, create a sell sheet for buyers that has your core product specifications. To double down on labeling any prepacked samples so people remember where they grabbed the sample, what it is, and how to get their hands on more!

Have a great show!