Looking for a large chocolate production facility

flowers

Question

Hi SFA Community,

I’m looking for a large production facility able to do chocolate enrobing, and hope to get some tips as how to search for companies that would fit our criteria. SFA Team: I’d be happy to check out the Business Services Resource Guide, but the link posted earlier doesn’t work. If it’s still available at the Learning Center, please let me know what the Category is. Thank you!

I did see the product “Resource Guide: Working with a Co-Packer” but not sure if that would be helpful for me. Does it contain a list of companies that offer co-packing services?

I’m aware of the Candy Buyer’s Directory, which is a great resource. Are there other similar publications or websites that I may have missed? I have searched the web for co-packers and chocolate production facilities, but still need to find more companies to reach out to. Our project entails producing the goods and shipping directly to customers. The projected volume would require someone familiar with mass production. In addition, we have a regional preference. Thanks in advance for any advice!

-Johanna

2 answers to this question

Hi Johanna, in our experience, the most valuable tools you can prepare to have a truly substantive conversation with any copacker are 1) clear numbers on your production volumes per quarter/year, per SKU. 2) tight product specification sheet and statement of process so that the copacker can understand facility capabilities (is enrobing for fruit? or shelf-stable nuts?) and start building a quote for tolling. 3) packaging strategy - unit pack-out format, master case dimensions 

For brands who are in data-gathering mode, PartnerSlate is a fantastic resource that will allow you to refine your initial search by region.

On fulfillment, a copacker who is expert at enrobing may have ample warehousing for your product post-production, but most of them do not operate as drop-ship or fulfillment centers. You may be able to increase your roster of viable candidates by considering an operational structure that separates your copacking partner from your 3PL/warehouse.

A non-biased recommendation if you are looking for shelf-stable, premium enrobed items: Brad Van Dam bvandam@marich.com of MARICH is a fellow member that has the certifications and expertise to carry you from innovation through scale.

Good luck, and feel free to shoot me an email if you have any other specific questions. 🙂

Hi Victoria, 

Thanks so much for your reply. I appreciate all the information you shared. I'll reach out to Marich. Also, I had not heard of PartnerSlate previously, and looking forward to signing up! 

All the best, 

Johanna