Ethics Question: Compliance Reporting

Mad Jax Hot Sauce

Question

After jumping through all the hoop to get my business off the ground legally and in compliance with all state and federal regulations, I came across a small business similar to mine.  These guys don't appear to have followed any of the rules for the products they are making and selling.  I don't want to be "that guy" and have them punished, but should I report them to my local inspector?  I reached out to them to find out if they knew that what they were doing was not allowed, but after several weeks, I have not received any response.  What is the general consensus on this type of situation?

1 answer to this question

On general consensus, I think the tricky bit is that there is none. But if we peel back the immediate frustration of this situation and focus on what your goals are as a company, perhaps you can gain clarity on what best serves your growth goals and execute those actions. From my personal experience, the time and precious energy you expend on what other people are doing wrong drains the focus you could be applying to celebrate everything you are doing right. The CPG industry is so tempting to entrepreneurs for the same reason it can be a headache for the health department--there's very little regulation at the ground level, and the vast majority of consumers don't realize this. So do some brands take advantage of best practices to get a bit ahead? You bet. But here's the fun part. Those hoops you jumped through at the outset as a little guy are absolutely setting you up to level up where those other guys can't. The effort you put into building a foundation of integrity for your manufacturing process and process authority, supply chain, label compliance, etc may feel like the long route right now, but retail buyers are becoming more and more savvy about their vendor's GMPs and facility certifications. At a certain phase of growth, there's no "getting away" with anything.

As for this particular company you've run across, I think their silence says a lot about how interested they are in adding value to the good food community, right? So I wouldn't waste my breath on them any further. Instead, I'd use your voice to amplify your brand loud and proud, and show the customers and retailers in your backyard why you're the hot sauce of choice. And unless you have TANGIBLE evidence that a product they are ACTIVELY selling is an endangerment to human health, I'd trust your gut instinct and refrain from being "that guy."  

Go get 'em!