In search of a warehouse/ distribution center

Amalia Ebbesen

Question

Hi there!

I am looking for a warehouse + pick & pack facility in the Tri-State area (NY, NJ, CT) or close by (open to other states if cost savings are significant). They would be shipping orders direct to consumers who purchase off of my website or Amazon. I am seeking a partner as I grow my business from 0 to at least a few hundred orders per month.

My products do not require refrigeration, room temperature is acceptable. I have about 50 different SKUs with products including olive oils, vinegars, dry pastas, flours, spreads, crackers, and some small artisanal home goods. I am in the start-up phase and therefore am cost sensitive so I would love to find a partner with reasonable rates. If you are able to recommend any facilities that you have successfully worked with or know of, I would be so grateful! Thank you! 

1 answer to this question

Hi Amalia,

My, that's quite a catalog! Sounds like a few pairs of extra hands is long overdue 🙂 Give the below 3PLs a call--they should be able to streamline both your online and FDA orders as you grow. If you are cost sensitive, I might take this opportunity to really look at your active SKUs and their profit hierarchy to see what is truly worth keeping in your inventory that will make you margins that are healthy enough to scale. Investing in a 3PL at 0 sales is an uncommon route for brands who have the benefit of ambient storage products, but if you can come out on top with your margins, then that's fantastic strategy to free you up. 

And just a note on location. The ultimate location for your 3PL would really be informed by where you customers are located, not necessarily where you are. It's all about that freight. So for the time being, local would certainly be practical and smart; however, if you have designs to grow nationally, or if your core consumers show themselves to all cluster on the opposite coast, it may make the most sense to elect a 3PL that can deliver most quickly to them with a responsible eco-footprint.

Congrats on kicking off Made by Mama!

https://www.swanpackaging.com/about-us/why-swan

https://www.metro-pack.com/faqs/